PROSTATITIS & BPH
In general, our Thermaspec was designed under the idea of providing the doctors reliable equipment for Thermotherapy treatments, simple-to-use and with low operating costs.
For your information, the different Micro Wave equipments in the market are all using a similar technology. Parts of them prefer to use a system that includes cooling water running through the catheter during the treatment. We in Medispec found this mode of action more complicated. By avoiding using a cooling system, we believe the Thermaspec have some advantages.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the level of energy used in this treatment?
While most equipments’ applicator transmits a high level of energy (in some of them up to 80 Watts), probably as a compensation for the cooling system, Medispec’s Thermaspec uses only 40 Watts for reaching the Working Temperature Level and than only 20 Watts, for maintaining the application’s temperature level (applied energy).
Is there a risk for the rectum?
In the equipments with the cooling systems, the Temperature Sensors (“Thermocouples”) are only EVALUATING the reaching temperature to the Prostate, and therefore it is recommended to use a Trans-Rectal Probe. In the Thermaspec, the sensors are taking the exact measurement of the temperature received by the Prostate, with no interference of the cooling water.
What is so spiecial in this device?
The Thermaspec mode of action aloud the Doctor to adjust the position of the Applicator of Energy to the size of the Prostate, using special marks on the catheter. We in Medispec developed an applicator that is Multi-Use (The Thermocouples are installed on the applicator). The Doctor has only to replace the catheter between one patient and another. For the first treatments, Medispec will provide you catheters with the consumables (Applicator and Thermocouples) already installed in them. Part of them will be for Regular Prostate and part of them for Small Prostate. Once you will feel more comfortable with our equipment, we will provide you the Multi-Use consumables. I can assure you that those will come with a good Fixation device, for avoiding any movements of the applicator inside the catheter.
What is the size of the catheter?
On avoiding using a cooling system, the diameter of the catheter is smaller.
What are the inclusion criteria?
- Patient is diagnosed with symptomatic Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia based on detailed medical history, physical examination, including a urinalysis, and the assessment of renal function, Uroflowmetry, and Post-Void Residual urine measurements (PVR)
- Patient has defined lower and upper size limits of the prostate (set by sponsor’s expectation of therapy)
- The AUA symptom Index value should be a total score of > 13
- Peak urine flow rate < 12 ml/sec (Based on a voided volume > 150 ml)
What are the exclusion criteria?
- Neurogenic bladder
- Bladder Calculi
- Pacemaker, Arrhythmia
- U.T.I (recent)
- Metal implant in the urethra
- Anti-coagulant treatment
- Symptoms of prostate cancer
- Urethral stricture
Urination problem of patient caused by something besides benign prostate hyperplasia
- Untreated infection on urine path
- Kidney malfunction (Serum, Creatinine 2mg/dl or over)
- Patient with catheter in urethra, because of urination problems
- External prostate lobe